MARYVILLE, TN January 30, 2015 – RedPort Global, the leader in advancing satellite data speeds and VoIP services, today announced the launch of land and marine weather forecast data for users of XGate iOS and Android apps. XGate is the world’s leading independent satellite data acceleration service letting people easily and affordably access accelerated email, web, weather data, social media and blogging wherever they go.
“Satellite phone users are often in remote locations or on the water and need a quick way to access weather forecasts. Until now, that meant using an uncompressed weather app which might not work over satellite or narrowband networks, or it meant downloading GRIB files to a computer.” said Dr. Luis Soltero, CTO of RedPort Global. “Now, XGate users can quickly see weather forecasts right on their mobile devices with all of the speed and ease of use XGate is known for. It’s the perfect partner to more advanced marine weather software, and may be all a land user ever needs.”
XGate Weather is a quick way to get basic weather information at your fingertips.
- Multiple locations: current GPS location, location by airport code, or enter a specific GPS location
- 3-7 day user-selectable forecasts
- 1-6 hour display frequency
- Metric and Imperial measurements support
- Selectable weather parameters including: temperature; surface pressure; wind speed; wind direction; wave period; wave height; visibility; wave direction; rain; freezing rain; UV index; total precipitation; cloud cover; dew point; perceived temperature; thunderstorm probability; and more.
RedPort XGate subscribers can use the Wi-Fi-enabled smartphones, tablets and computers they already own to easily access accelerated email, the web, weather data and social media with these new BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) satellite terminals. XGate also works with other “Powered by RedPort” devices, including:
- RedPort Optimizer, a satellite Wi-Fi hotspot that connects with any modern satellite phone via USB or Ethernet;
- RedPort Aurora Iridium Satellite Wi-Fi Terminal
- SatStation Wi-Fi docks for Iridium and Inmarsat
Other XGate services include:
- Accelerated Email– Email service offers up to 20 times acceleration versus uncompressed speeds, saving up to 85% on satellite airtime
- Accelerated Web Browsing – Compression uses a web proxy service to provide users with 3-5 times average web acceleration, while also blocking ads, checking for malicious sites and compressing images.
- GRIB Weather Delivery – Users easily get free GRIB files via email from many online services, showing weather and oceanographic data with their compatible GRIB file viewer.
- Social media – Users can post text and photos to Facebook and Twitter over satellite and cellular narrowband devices
- Blogging – Users get free access to a Sailblogs premium basic account to help them share their adventures while travelling with their satphone
XGate Mobile Apps Compatible Operating Systems:
- Apple iOS devices (iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch)
- Google Android smartphones and tablets
RedPort XGate is also offered by leading satellite service providers as a white-label solution under other brand names, including: OCENS Mail, Network Innovations Speedmail, Satphonestore.com Satphone.Me, MVS MVSMail, SatLink from BlueCosmo/SatWorx, and XGate for Telecom Italia.